Xinorbis 8 will be available in three flavours:
Free version. Compltely free, non-time limited. Missing only Folder History and a couple of displays (duplicates and file ages). Available now from xinorbis.com.
Pro version, DRM free. One-off small fee. Everything. Some testing and tweaking currently taking place, will be ready in a week or two.
I will be sending out registration keys to anyone who has previously donated or provided useful feedback and help. If you haven’t received one by the end of February then send me an email.
Enterprise version. Coming later this year. Currently in development. If this interests you then please get in touch.
Both versions will be in 32 and 64 bit version; installer or zip archive.
(edited: decided Free was a better name than Trial. It’ll never expire, will be updated with all the same bug fixes as the Pro and Enterprise versions, and will be super awesome.)
I’m still hoping to have a beta ready for the end of the year, but there is still lots to do.
- Fixing all the loose ends (there are a lot)
- Rewriting the language engine.
- Rewriting SQlite (database) support.
- Improve performance
Version 8 is coming on nicely. There is light at the end of the tunnel…
And a bit earlier than I expected. So now comes the transition from stage 2 (the “to do” list), to stage 3…
The list is now empty, but there is still a lot that needs fixing. Several features need to be rewritten, and everything needs testing. I spent a couple of hours late last night getting the Navigation pane working again; Xinorbis is not in any fit state for beta release yet! And all of those little things that I said “I’ll fix that at the end” now need doing.
I also need to work on performance. The current build is slower than Xinorbis 6, so that’s an important part of stage 3.
The first stage is now complete.
I’ve migrated the source code from Delphi 2007 to 10.1 Berlin. I’ve also completely redesigned the GUI architecture (it still looks the same though (for now)), and I’m now in the process of bolting everything back together (stage 2).
This is a big task. Xinorbis’ code had become rather large and unwieldy over the years, so the process of pulling everything apart, to then put it all back together, is not an altogether easy one. Part of stage 2 is going to be improving the code, removing unused code (I’ve found some already), and improving performance by utilising as many new language features as I can.
I’ve made a good start. There are about 240 separate “to do” items left to, erm, do, from an initial ~280. Some of these items will take mere minutes, some of them will likely take a day, and require rewrites of important sections of code.
I’m hoping to finish stage 2 by the end of the year. I don’t think it’s too unrealistic. Once it’s ready I’ll release a beta. Once everything is working the real fun begins…
I’m working on a major new update to Xinorbis. It’s a massive project that’ll take several months, but it’ll be worth it.
I started on the 9th of October, and the process is well underway, but it’s going to be another couple of months before I can release a beta.
I’ll post more information in the coming days and weeks 🙂